Aquilina Environmental Quality
specialising in all aspects of freshwater, brackish and wetland ecology
“I am an independent ecological consultant of 16 years experience, with links to associates who together offer a full range of ecological consultancy services. I specialise in freshwater ecology, especially bio assessment of water quality and conservation value using macroinvertebrates.
I am interested in reptiles and amphibians and undertake protected species survey and mitigation works. I am also involved in a range of voluntary activities to support the wider recognition of the value of freshwaters, from running the Dorset Freshwater Recording Group to training courses, pond digging and surveys.”
Accreditations & Licences
- Environment Agency accredited River Habitat Surveyor experienced in carrying out RIVPACS and PSYM surveys
- Natural England protected species licences for Sand Lizard, Smooth Snake, Great Crested Newt, Crayfish and Fairy shrimp (Chirocephalus)
- Full member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management (CIEEM)
- Covering southern England and South Wales
- Biodiversity checklist / Ecological survey / Protected Species assessment for planning applications
- Freshwater habitat assessments using standard survey techniques
- Macroinvertebrate identification to species level, interpretation and management recommendations
- Wildlife pond design, restoration, mitigation and assessment
- Species specific surveys, including Great Crested Newts, Water Voles, Fish (electro-fishing surveys), Crayfish, Fairy Shrimp, Reptiles
Training Courses & Workshops
Robert runs training courses and workshops on:
- Pond Creation and Management
- Pond Surveys
- Aquatic Plant Identification
- Aquatic Invertebrate Identification
Courses & Workshops are run for organisations such as The Conservation Volunteers and the Freshwater Habitats Trust. Robert also offers bespoke courses to community groups, Wildlife Trusts and water companies. Please contact Robert to discuss your training needs.
What makes a good pond?
4 page pdf
ID Guides for freshwaters
4 page pdf
Robert is the Freshwater Recorder for Dorset and has set up a Freshwater Recording Group which collects data for the Dorset Environmental Records Centre (DERC).
Records (inverts & fish) and enquiries are welcomed – please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert supports the Freshwater Habitats Trust (previously known as Pond Conservation), an organisation dedicated to protecting freshwater life for everyone to enjoy. The charity carries out cutting edge evidence-
Robert worked for Pond Conservation for three years, where his philosophy and values fitted in perfectly.